Collateral (2004)
"It started like any other night."
Finally watched this movie.
Not particularly a fan of Tom Cruise or Jamie Foxx, and I never really heard of director Michael Mann; I passed up watching this movie in the cinema.
Turns out that this was a pretty good flick. Lots of sharp dialogue (especially from Cruise's hitman character 'Vincent') that makes you go, "Hmm, he has a point there."
The movie's premise is about the wrong person at the wrong time at the wrong place. Just after dropping off an attorney (Matrix's Jada Pinkett Smith), Jamix Foxx ('Max') picks up the salt and pepper-haired Vincent for what seemed like a routine cab fare.
What follows is Max's inability to stop Vincent as he goes about his rounds on his one-night contract killer spree. Vincent, on the other hand, oozes sarcastic wit and uber coolness as he dispatches his targets with some ease.
Not a bad movie, pretty watchable. It's surprising to see Cruise slip into the bad guy role so comfortably.
Memorable Scene:
Vincent: Okay, look, here's the deal. Man, you were gonna drive me around tonight, never be the wiser, but El Gordo got in front of a window, did his high dive, we're into Plan B. Still breathing? Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it. Max, six billion people on the planet, you're getting bent out of shape cause of one fat guy.
Max: Well, who was he?
Vincent: What do you care? Have you ever heard of Rwanda?
Max: Yes, I know Rwanda.
Vincent: Well, tens of thousands killed before sundown. Nobody's killed people that fast since Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Did you bat an eye, Max?
Max: What?
Vincent: Did you join Amnesty International, Oxfam, Save the Whales, Greenpeace, or something? No. I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit.
Max: Man, I don't know any Rwandans.
Vincent: You don't know the guy in the trunk, either.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home