Generation Musical Information Gap
Today I was on the highway from Melaka to Nilai to send off my brother for his new semester. Because I do not own an iPod (hint hint), I had to resort to Hitz.fm for musical entertainment on the road.
The usual, run-of-the-mill, popular-at-the-moment songs came on, and one of them was Eminem's "Like Toy Soldiers".
My brother was incredulous when I told him that it was remixed from an '80s (1989 to be exact) song of the same name by Martika. I heard the song when I was searching for the marching theme of toy soldiers from the Robin Williams' movie, Toys. Well, I didn't find the theme, but I found Martika's song, and I liked it despite the distinct '80s feel.
My brother, being of the younger generation; was also not convinced when I mentioned that Eminem's recent "Sing For The Moment" was remixed with a couple of verses from Aerosmith's classic anthem, "Dream On".
Sometimes I wonder if I am a Repository For Useless Knowledge. Is there any point for me to learn, memorize and then try to impart such knowledge to the younger generation?
Ahh... kids these days.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home