"It's a little bit funny..."
That was a quote from a song lyric.
This is not a WoW post, fear not; intrepid readers.
Although I may add that it's really boring when I'm not playing it and yet can be annoyingly tedious when I am.
Back on topic. What was it again? Oh yeah.
Today's The Star had a full-page interview in its Star Two section of a schoolmate of mine, Dinesh Aravin. He had recently won the absurdly-named "R U Bond Enough?" contest, which pitted him against a world-wide field of, eh, good looking men (never thought I would type those words, I'm still eewing inside) to imitate James Bond.
The contest was probably a publicity hype since the new movie is delayed and they can't find a new actor (Pierce Brosnan quit, some say because he couldn't get the money he wanted, some say he was fired for asking too much). The producers can't even find a director or even agree on the movie's direction.
I can't say that I'm really close to Dinesh. He's a robust, athletic and a charismatic person. You know back in high school, there's always a few guys in your class that can always draw the attention and lead the lads? Dinesh was one of those, having a natural leadership ability. At least that's how I saw it.
It was a pleasant surprise to read the interview, since I haven't heard from or about him in years (same can be said about my other friends, I'm pretty much a recluse). The fact that he won was also shocking. Y'know, the "Malaysia Boleh... Boleh Kalah" mentality that I have. Hey, it's not just me, ever listen to the backlash from Malaysia's defeat to Indonesia at homeground in the Tiger Cup?
Anyways, here I was, wondering if I should type about the Dinesh I know. Then I realize, he's a celebrity now, I gotta watch what I type. Suddenly I began deleting and erasing sentences, rephrasing stuff and even *gasp* tweaking my language.
This is not in any way to imply that I have bad things to write about Dinesh. On the contrary, I have a lot of good things to write about him.
Think about it. If you have to write about a person you know, how do you go about it? Sure, everybody has their flaws, but when you really dwell on it, you come to the conclusion that the flaws are at best, marginal and forgettable.
I guess this is why most interviews and biopic articles often paint a shining picture of the subject. I often dismiss interviews of popular figures like actors, political leaders and etcetra, because they always seem to focus on their greatness.
Now I know, it can be damningly difficult to write about a person. Even more so when you don't want to risk offending the subject via a mistaken word or nuance.
So what can I say about Dinesh Aravin?
He's a nice guy.
And that's all I got to say about that.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home