Reverb
I was WoW-ing with a guildmate and trying to complete an incredibly long quest chain. The whole chain was a parody of the Legend of Zelda games from Nintendo, and on of the quest involves drinking a potion at the graveyard to... achieve a different form to talk to an NPC.
While playing, there was a moment when I thought my chair was wobbling. At first I thought it was my brain telling me to get to bed already (twas 11pm). After several seriously-weirded out minutes, all became calm and I continued playing.
It was 1am and I was still playing (the quest chain is incredibly long, 13 steps in all). All of a sudden, I got an MSN message. Curious, I alt-tabbed and read it, it was from my brother which was rare.
There was another earthquake near Indonesia.
Immediately I checked on the net news and sure enough, it was being reported on Yahoo. I alt-tabbed back into the game and informed my guildmate. He was concerned and asked if I was ok. I was touched, but on reflection I guess he's worried that I would ditch the game and leave him hanging, heh. Just kidding.
Anyway, after several more minutes of reading the news and my guildie tuning into CNN over at his place (it was morning for him and he had been playing for 8 hours or so... he's a machine), I came to the conclusion that Malaysia was safe. The earthquake had happened to the west of Indonesia, and thus again our country was shielded from the worst of it.
I'm not sure what I feel now about it. Was the wobbling I felt caused by the earthquake? No idea.
But it did shake me up that disaster can strike at any time, and while the rest of the world might be sleeping or having a ball of a time playing a game, people might be dying on the otherside of the world.
Yet, I slept soundly that night.
I wonder why.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home